Help from Home Improvement Agencies

If you are struggling to keep warm in your own home and it’s affecting your health and wellbeing, don’t suffer in silence.

Help is available via the Foundations Independent Living Trust (FILT) which delivers grants through its network of handyperson and home improvement agencies (HIA) in England.

FILT programmes fund life-changing interventions to make homes more energy efficient and/or easier to keep warm. Plus, the charity also provides grants to improve the safety of gas work and appliances in the home.

Elderly Man

Measures range from draught proofing and fitting reflector radiator panels to replacement of boilers and central heating systems.


Grants are currently available via the following funds:

npower Health Through Warmth (HTW) Crisis Fund

HTW offers help to people in England who have long-term illnesses and are finding it hard to fund heating and insulation measures in their homes.

Who qualifies for help?

People with long-term illness who own and occupy their own home, who also have a low income and little or no savings (which are assessed) and cannot fully fund the work themselves.

Grant recipients don’t have to be or become an npower customer, to receive help.

Gas Safe Charity

FILT works with Gas Safe to provide preventative services that directly address the risks of death, injuries and illness caused by dangerous gas work and appliances.

The following types of essential minor work may be carried out using the Grant Scheme funding:

  • Gas Safety Checks
  • Gas Servicing
  • Gas Boiler Repairs
  • Gas Boiler Replacements
  • Gas Boiler Combustion Analysis
  • Gas Cookers
  • Fires
  • Gas Pipework
  • Gas Meters
  • Water Heaters.
Who qualifies for help?
  • Home owners who are 60 years of age or over and who receive means tested benefit
  • Home owners who are 60 years of age or over and who receive state pension only (with no other income)
  • Home owners who are 60 years of age or over who are disabled
  • Home owners who are 18 years of age or over who are disabled

Please note that the maximum grant paid from this fund is £500 per home.

People helped by Home Improvement Agencies

Mr W is 80 years of age and lived alone. He had recently undergone surgery to have a pacemaker fitted and his mobility was poor.

The HIA was contacted as his 40-year-old boiler had broken down and Mr W only had one small electric fire to keep him warm.

“We contacted the local borough council to assist with heating repairs. The council advised they could contribute towards a replacement boiler and it was arranged that we would try to raise as much funds as possible and the council would make up the shortfall.

“We were able to utilise funding from the Gas Safe Charity scheme, Home Warmth for the Aged Benevolent Fund, an anonymous charity and npower Health Through Warmth Hardship Fund administered through Foundations Independent Living Trust. In total, an amount of £1,800 was raised and the Borough Council made up the shortfall of £1,600.”

The new boiler was fitted quickly and Mr W was able to convalesce in the warmth of his home.

You can read other people’s stories of getting help from Home Improvement Agencies on the FILT website

How to get help

If you’re at risk of fuel poverty or are concerned about gas safety in your home, please contact your local home improvement agency (HIA) who can apply for the funding on your behalf.

Find your local home improvement agency

You can also call 0300 124 0315.

If you live in other parts of the UK

Northern Ireland

Home Improvement Agencies can be accessed via the Northern Ireland Housing Executive in Northern Ireland.


There are several Home Improvement Agencies in Scotland. See the Care and Repair Scotland website for more information.


Care and Repair Cymru provides Home Improvement Agency services for people living in Wales.

Source: Turn2Us

2 thoughts on “Help from Home Improvement Agencies

  1. I tried very hard last year to get a replacement boiler asmine is 30 plus years old..went through the epcs from 3 seperate companies and was quoted for replacement boiler under the affordable warmth scheme prices from £500 to £1,800.I am disabled and on means tested benefits..where the hell do these companies think people living on benefits have this sort of money as their ” CONTRIBUTION”??? All that was achieved was my details sold to various contractors ie the EPC companies..when the EPC is available online they each had to come do one!! They then only quote you for a standard boiler fitting it to existing OLD tank and fittings so leaks would be likely in the future and putting a new boiler on a old tank which is probably full of limescale…all in all i was left feeling extremely let down as I have long term health problems including COPD and asthma.I already have cavity wall insulation and loft insulation they told me this went against me as a applicant as due to this my contribution will be higher…my personal experience of the scheme and a whole year wasted with N power,EON and “Find energy savings” each one selling on your data to their associates to do EPC and boiler checks then coming back to be with a ridiculous sum for contribution…I accept a small contribution is in order something like £200 maybe but £400 £800 and £1800???seriously???? for someone who is on benefits it was such a let down and wasted my time and just used me to sell on my data! IT IS AN OUTRAGE to anyone who IS disabled living on benefits and with a 30 yrs old boiler.I am disgusted with the way i was treated!!

Leave a Reply